You can buy groceries online, shop for clothes online, and use the internet to answer just about any question you have. Yet for many people it's hard to imagine being able to do something as essential as opening a checking account online. The good news is...
Opening an account online is easy!
And online banking in general just keeps getting easier. Most banks and credit unions allow people to do most of what they need to online, securely.
Many banks and credit unions go even further, letting you do things like make deposits and transfer money between accounts online as well. Online banking is becoming such a norm that any bank that doesn't currently offer it probably will soon.
If you're looking to open a checking account online, getting started takes just a few minutes. (Also, all of the community banks and credit unions that offer Kasasa accounts allow online account opening.)
But is opening a checking account online safe?
Banks and credit unions have a huge incentive to keep your accounts safe. It's one of their main jobs, so you can rest assured that your security is their utmost concern.
Here's how you can be confident your money and information are safe when you open an account online:
- Every bank and credit union that offers Kasasa is insured by either the FDIC, NCUA, or ASI.
- Checking accounts at all FDIC-, NCUA-, and ASI-insured banks and credit unions are protected for balances up to $250,000.
- Banks and credit unions use complex security software and encrypting measures to protect their accounts. If you want more information on what your bank does to protect you, just give them a call.
How long does opening a checking account online take?
It varies, but usually just a few minutes. As long as collecting the information you need doesn't take too long, in most cases you can expect it to take 30 minutes tops. For Kasasa checking accounts, it's usually just 10-15.
To speed things up, have these items ready before you begin:
- Your driver's license or state-issued ID
- Your Social Security number
- Your checkbook (Note that some institutions may also let you make the opening deposit via a credit or debit card.)
- Your current and previous home addresses
The process is pretty quick, but there will usually be a few days between applying for your checking account online and the bank or credit union activating it. For Kasasa accounts, it’s 3 business days or less.
Hopefully that covers all of your concerns. If you have more questions about opening a checking account online or online banking in general, let us know in the comments. We'll do our best to answer any questions you have!